6 tips for protecting your business premises
6 tips to protect your premises
Most businesses will have an integrated, smart security system, but it never hurts to have additional measures; here are my top 6:
- Store goods carefully. If you have a site that stores a lot of product, or you’ve decided to bulk-buy extra materials due to price rises, make sure they’re locked up. Even if you normally store goods outside, move them in for the Jubilee weekend. It seems obvious to point out, but if people can’t see the goods they don’t know they’re there, if there are visible they will attract attention.
- Inform your remote monitoring service there will be no-one on site. This is particularly relevant at holiday times, because normally any activations on a Thursday or Friday would probably be ignored. By advising that the site will be closed any activations will be treated as a genuine intruder.
- Protect your vehicles. If you’re going to have lorries or vans parked on site over the long weekend, check the keys are removed and the rear doors and side curtains on trailers are left open.
- Allocate roles. Make sure someone is allocated as key holder so if there is an incident someone is able to attend. This is often overlooked and a tricky one to overcome if the person with the key is away on holiday.
- Check your perimeter. It doesn’t take long to conduct a fence-line walk to check the integrity of the fencing and ensure the gates are secure. At the same time you can confirm there’s no equipment near the fence or any pallets or packaging in the area that can act as a step for would-be criminals.
- Test your system. As with homes you should always test that your security system and your cameras are working as they should.
I hope these tips have been helpful. If you have any concerns about your security or are interested in upgrading your system, get in touch with a member of our team and they’ll be happy to offer advice.
Dave Salisbury, Managing Director, Zicam Integrated Security Limited.
Subscribe here to keep up to date with Zicam’s news and views.